Today I setup Prey 0.5.3 on my netbook running Debian testing.
# apt-get install prey
Here is what I modified in my ‘/etc/prey/config‘
.... # autoconnect feature, disabled by default until we are 200% sure it # works flawlessly in all platforms. feel free to try it out though. auto_connect='y' .... # you can get both of these from Prey's web service api_key='' device_key='' .... # if you're having trouble getting requests across your firewall or proxy, # you can try adding '-0' to make curl perform HTTP 1.0 requests curl_options='-0 --compress' # this option prepends a random number as a subdomain to the check URL on http mode # makes it harder for other programs to block Prey so its a good idea to be on randomize_check_host='y' ....
Also I added to my root crontab for updates
# crontab -e
*/10 * * * * /usr/share/prey/prey.sh > /var/log/prey.log
*/10 * * * * /usr/lib/prey/prey.sh > /var/log/prey.log